California Penal Code sec. 288(a) governs the crime of lewd or lascivious act with a minor.1 Anyone who knowingly commits lewd acts with a minor less than 14 years of age with the motive of sexual arousal is guilty of violating Penal Code sec. 288. If you are facing child molestation charges in Hemet, you need to call a skilled sex crimes defense attorney who can obtain the best possible outcome in your case.
How is PC 288(a) Prosecuted in Riverside County?
The prosecutors in Riverside County have the burden to prove each element of the crime before they are able to convict you. These elements include:
- You intentionally touched a child’s body or body part or persuaded a child to do so, even if they consented.
- Touching was intended to gratify or arouse your sexual desires or the child in question.
- The child was under the age of 14 at the time of the act.
If you are charged pursuant to California Penal Code sec. 288(a) for lewd or lascivious acts on a child under the age of 14, you face the possibility of imprisonment in the state prison for up to eight years and a $10,000 fine. Another punishment you will face is being required to register as a sex offender.
If you are convicted of this crime, it will severely impact your life, both personally and professionally.
Recent Child Molestation Cases under PC 288(a) in Riverside County
Sex offender Percy William Singleton was convicted in the County of Riverside for two counts of PC 288(a) lewd acts with a child under 14 years of age, two counts of PC 288(c) oral copulation with child under 14 years of age, and one count of PC 261.5 unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor.2 All of the above crimes are felonies and Singleton was sentenced to eight years in prison.
He was later convicted for failing to register as a felony sex offender and received 36 months of probation. A year later, he was convicted again for failing to register and was sentenced to 16 months in prison. This case is an example of what happens when someone is charged with 288(a) in Riverside County.
Call Wallin & Klarich if You are Facing Child Molestation Charges in Hemet
Sexual assault is a serious offense, especially when it involves a minor. It is important to seek an experienced criminal defense attorney at Wallin & Klarich who will help you obtain the best possible outcome in your case. The reasons why you should retain Wallin & Klarich in your time of need include:
- We will partner with the best investigators.
- We will find the most experienced forensic specialists.
- We have over 30 years of experience in protecting our clients’ rights.
- We know what legal defenses to raise to get the best result for you.
Call Wallin & Klarich to get a free consultation today. Call us at (877) 4-NO-JAIL or (877) 466-5245. We will get through this together.
1. [“Cal. Pen. Code sec. 288.” FindLaw. <http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/PEN/3/1/9/5/s288>]↩
2. [“Ron’s Log.” ronslog.typepad.com <http://ronslog.typepad.com/ronslog/2010/01/convicted-sex-offender-arrested-for-failure-to-register.html]↩