October 1, 2013 By Stephen Klarich

Ending Sex Offender Registration in Costa Mesa for Child Molest – PC647.6

Anyone who must register as a sex offender knows the lifelong obligation is devastating. Employment, housing, even close friends all seem to vanish along with this embarrassing lifetime stigma. If you are a Costa Mesa resident and have been convicted of “annoying or molesting a child” pursuant to Penal Code section 647.6 (PC647.6), you will likely have to register as a sex offender.

At the law firm of Wallin & Klarich, we have over 30 years of experience successfully petitioning the courts for what is known as “post-conviction relief.” The skilled Costa Mesa sex crimes attorneys at Wallin & Klarich can help you restore your dignity and your respect in the community by filing papers in court to help remove your sex offender registration requirement.

How Can I be Relieved of Lifetime Sex Offender Registration?

Ending Sex Offender Registration

There is an application process in the California criminal court system for what is called a “Certificate of Rehabilitation” under Penal Code sections 4852.01 through 4852.21. If you have a sex crime on your record listed that is not listed under Penal Code section 290.5, a certificate of rehabilitation will stop your duty to register as a sex offender. To apply for the certificate, you must meet the following conditions:

  • Be a resident of California for a minimum of five years before following the certificate; and
  • Maintain an honest and moral lifestyle for at least 10 years upon your release on probation, parole or from custody; and
  • No longer be on probation or parole; nor
  • Have current criminal charges pending against you.

Your application for a certificate of rehabilitation should be filed in the superior court in which you were originally convicted. If you were convicted of a misdemeanor violation of PC647.6 and the judge grants your application, you will receive your certificate of rehabilitation and your obligation to register for life as a sex offender is over.

Can I Still be Relieved of my Duty to Register as a Sex Offender if I have a Felony Child Annoyance/Molestation Conviction?

If you have a felony conviction for child annoyance or child molestation, you can be relieved of your duty to register but it is much more complicated. You cannot be relieved of your sex offender registration requirement upon receiving a certificate of rehabilitation by itself. If you are granted a certificate, in order to qualify for relief the court will automatically send your documents to the Governor (and the California Supreme Court, if you have more than one felony on your record). The certificate then acts as an application for a pardon. If you are pardoned by the Governor, then you are relieved of lifetime sex offender registration requirements.

It is important that you understand this process is not easily accomplished and typically requires a professional who is skilled at writing post-conviction relief petitions to be filed and argued in court. Your best hope for relief from sex offender registration, particularly if you have a felony sex offense conviction, is to hire a knowledgeable sex crimes defense attorney with an excellent track record getting Certificates of Rehabilitation granted by the court.

Contact Wallin & Klarich to Find Out How to be Relieved of Lifetime Sex Offender Registration

If you or someone you care about registers as a sex offender in Costa Mesa for a violation of PC647.6 or “child annoyance or molestation,” you need to contact an experienced Costa Mesa sex crimes defense attorney right away. The attorneys at Wallin & Klarich have over 30 years of experience successfully petitioning the courts on behalf of our clients desiring to be free of the embarrassing stigma of registering as a sex offender.

With offices in Los Angeles, Sherman Oaks, Torrance, Tustin, San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura, West Covina and Victorville, the skilled and professional sex crimes defense attorneys at Wallin & Klarich may be able to help you get your registration requirement removed by filing for a Certificate of Rehabilitation. We can help you live a better life.

Call us today at (877) 4-NO-JAIL or (877) 466-5245 for a free telephone consultation. We will be there when you call.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Confidential Consult
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

SCHEDULE YOUR free consultation

If you or a loved one have been accused of a sex crime, this is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.