March 8, 2022 By Stephen Klarich

Will I Have to Move My Residence if I am Convicted of a Sex Crime in Orange County?

Being convicted of a sex crime can cause many immediate changes to your life. In such an instance, registering as a sex offender is usually one of the first things that must be done. If you are convicted of certain sex crimes in Orange County you will have to register as a sex offender under California Penal Code 290. PC 290 requires convicted sex offenders to notify local authorities every time they move to a new address. Generally, a sex offender will not have to move their residence once registered as a sex offender and will be able to stay at their current residence. However, depending on the conditions of the charge, a sex offender might be required to move if they live near areas where children are regularly found such as parks, playgrounds, or school zones. Other occasions allow for registered sex offenders to remain living near a park or school depending on the condition of their parole or probation. 

Moving to a new residence if convicted of a sex crime

In 2006, California passed a law known as Jessica’s Law, which prohibited registered sex offenders in California from living within 2,000 feet of any school or park where children regularly gather. However, in 2015 the law was found to be unconstitutional because “it caused many registered sex offenders on parole to be homeless and thus hampered efforts to supervise and rehabilitate them.” In re Taylor, 60 Cal. 4th 1019 (2015). As a result, state law no longer provides a concrete distance that registered sex offenders need to maintain from a school or park. Instead, the courts can impose residency restrictions on the particular circumstances of each individual’s parole conditions. 

How Can an Experienced Wallin & Klarich Lawyer Help You? 

Our attorneys at Wallin & Klarich have more than 40 years of experience specializing in sex crimes and the laws surrounding them. We have helped thousands of clients in these types of situations. We can help you make sure that if you or a loved one is a PC 290 registrant you do not violate the law or if you are on probation, we can discuss the terms of your probation. It may even be possible to have your charges expunged upon successful completion of your probation under Penal Code 1203.4. If you have concerns about where you can live or if you have more details about your current registration status, give us a call. 

With offices in Orange County, Riverside, San Bernardino, Victorville, West Covina, Torrance, and Los Angeles, there is an experienced Wallin & Klarich criminal defense lawyer available nearby who is ready to defend you or a loved one. 

 Please contact us at (877) 4-NO-JAIL or (714) 587-4068 for a free phone consultation. We will be there when you call.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Confidential Consult
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

SCHEDULE YOUR free consultation

If you or a loved one have been accused of a sex crime, this is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.